Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Zerenda!!!


My site has been announced and I could not be happier. I ended up about a 45 minute bus ride outside of the city I requested and I could not be happier. My village is tiny, it has only about 6,000 people and very rarely is there running water. At first that seems a bit daunting but I really do think it will be nice to have the “real” Peace Corps experience with water pumps and outhouses while having a larger city nearby to keep my sanity. People describe the area as the Switzerland of Kazakhstan, and while from the pictures I have seen that’s probably a huge stretch I do think it’s fair to say it resembles the boundary waters. Search for either Kokshetau or Zerenda if you want to find some pictures of your own. There is a bigger resort area not too far from me, but I don’t remember what it is called. If you search around you may be able to find it.


The picture that is included is the lake I will be living next to for the next two years. Its circumference will be frequented many times as I am sure therapeutic runs will be a necessity.


Love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I just googled Zerenda for a good half-hour. You're right, it really does resemble the boundary waters! I'm sure having a body of water near you will be wonderful; I probably would have been worried if you hadn't, our family loves it too much. Also looks like your location is farely north, I guess you'll be experiencing those Russian winters! Stay warm - Love you!!

    Corynne

    ReplyDelete